2019 Event Schedule
Regular section meetings for Otters, Timberwolves, and Pathfinders are held on the first Sunday of the month at Joaquin Miller park, from 2 to 4 pm, rain or shine. Our meeting spot is the Redwood Glen grove off Skyline Boulevard, near the start of the Big Trees Trail (a short ways down the trail from the roadside parking area on Skyline).
Clicking the map will take you to Google Maps, but please be warned that the map does not appear to render correctly on some phones: if you are accessing Google from your phone, please double-check to make sure the pin is in the correct position at the start of the Big Trees Trail! In addition to the section meetings, there will be at least one other group activity every month, usually also held on Sunday afternoons. Parents who wish to assist in these activities are welcome, as are younger siblings: the BPSA informally refers to little brother and sister “tag-alongs” as Chipmunk Scouts.
- Sun. January 6th, Redwood Glen at Joaquin Miller Park, 2-4 pm: section meetings
- Mon. January 21st, MLK Jr Memorial Grove, 10 am-12 pm: All-sections service project, shoreline cleanup with EB Parks. Wear comfortable, weather-appropriate clothes and closed-toed shoes. To cut down on the use of plastic, please bring a refillable water bottle and bucket to pick up litter. Heavy rain cancels the event. Driving directions from I-880 in Oakland: take the Hegenberger Rd. exit and drive on Hegenberger Rd. toward the airport (west). Turn right on Doolittle Dr. (.75 miles) and right on Swan Way (next light). Drive 200 feet and on the left side is the entrance to Arrowhead Marsh. MLK Grove is the first parking lot on your left.
- Sun. February 3rd, Redwood Glen at Joaquin Miller Park, 2-4 pm: section meetings
- Sun. February 17th, Coyote Hills Regional Park 1:30 pm-3:30 pm: Ohlone village site tour led by Francis Mendoza of #AsianOutsider. $5 parking fee.
- Sun. March 3rd, Redwood Glen at Joaquin Miller Park, 2-4 pm: section meetings
- Sun. March 24, Temescal Regional Park, 2-4 pm: Dam Trail/East Shore Trail/Oak Bay Trail loop (Trails Challenge featured trail; meet at lawn area near north parking lot. No parking fees.)
- Sun. April 7th, Redwood Glen at Joaquin Miller Park, 2-4 pm: section meetings.
- Sun. April 28th, Sunol Regional Wilderness, 2-4 pm: Wildflower walk. Meet at Camp Ohlone Road trailhead at the southernmost parking area. $5 parking fee.
- Sun. May 5th, Redwood Glen at Joaquin Miller Park, 2-4 pm: section meetings
- Sun. May 19th, Quarry Lakes Regional Recreation Area, 2-4 pm: Californio Trail/Old Creek Trail/Western Pacific/Isla Tres Rancheros Loop (Trails Challenge featured trail; meet at Isherwood staging area. No parking fees.)
- Sun. June 2nd, Redwood Glen at Joaquin Miller Park, 2-4 pm: section meetings
- Sun. June 23rd, Tilden Nature Area, 2-4 pm: “Dragons and Damsels” EBRPD-led program examining dragonflies. “The highly skilled and strangely beautiful dragonfly has ruled the earth since the Jurassic. Today, we delve into their mind-bending world and try to find and understand these aerial predators.” Meet at the visitor center; no parking fees.
- Fri. July 5th-Sun. July 7th, NorCal Hullabaloo (Anthony Chabot regional park, Hawk Ridge group campsite; registration page coming soon)