2018 Event Schedule
Regular section meetings for Otters, Timberwolves, and Pathfinders are held on the first Sunday of the month at Joaquin Miller park, from 2 to 4 pm, rain or shine. Our meeting spot is the Redwood Glen grove off Skyline Boulevard, near the start of the Big Trees Trail (a short ways down the trail from the roadside parking area on Skyline).
Clicking the map will take you to Google Maps, but please be warned that the map does not appear to render correctly on some phones: if you are accessing Google from your phone, please double-check to make sure the pin is in the correct position at the start of the Big Trees Trail! In addition to the section meetings, there will be at least one other group activity every month, usually also held on Sunday afternoons. Parents who wish to assist in these activities are welcome, as are younger siblings: the BPSA informally refers to little brother and sister “tag-alongs” as Chipmunk Scouts.
- Fri. January 5-Sat. January 6th: Pathfinder backpacking trip
- Sun. January 7th, Redwood Glen at Joaquin Miller Park, 2-4 pm: section meetings
- Mon. January 15th, MLK Jr Memorial Grove, 10 am-12 pm: All-sections service project, shoreline cleanup with EB Parks. Wear comfortable, weather-appropriate clothes and closed-toed shoes. To cut down on the use of plastic, please bring a refillable water bottle and bucket to pick up litter. Heavy rain cancels the event. Driving directions from I-880 in Oakland: take the Hegenberger Rd. exit and drive on Hegenberger Rd. toward the airport (west). Turn right on Doolittle Dr. (.75 miles) and right on Swan Way (next light). Drive 200ft and on the left side is the entrance to Arrowhead Marsh and MLK Grove is the first parking lot on your left.
- Sun. February 4th, Redwood Glen at Joaquin Miller Park, 2-4 pm: section meetings
- Sun. February 18th, Redwood Regional Park 2 pm-4 pm: All-sections ladybug hike (meet at
Skyline Gate staging area)
- Sun. March 4th, Redwood Glen at Joaquin Miller Park, 2-4 pm: section meetings
- Fri. March 23rd-Sun. March 25: spring camping trip, site tbd.
- Sun. April 8th, Redwood Glen at Joaquin Miller Park, 2-4 pm: section meetings.
- Sun. April 22nd, Vargas Plateau Regional Park, 2-4 pm: Golden Eagle trail wildflower hike (Trails Challenge featured trail; meet at Vargas Plateau staging area. Carpooling recommended)
- Sun. May 6th, Redwood Glen at Joaquin Miller Park, 2-4 pm: Otter and Timberwolf section meetings
- Sun. May 20th, 2-4 pm: “Family Nature Fun” and “Island City Waterways” at Crown Beach/Crab Cove. From EBPARKS description of the two events, starting at 2 pm: “The tides roll in and out making each day a chance to discover something new. Visit our beach, pond, or the San Francisco Bay Trail, and drop by to explore with us and have fun with a nature craft after the program!” Then at 3:15 pm: “Rhythmix Cultural Works’ second annual Island City Waterways is presented this year in association with Crab Cove. Actors, dancers, and musicians will lead an easy stroll around the Cove for a 75-minute performance that brings to vibrant life the shoreline’s rich history and celebrates the sea. Featuring taiko drummers, gamelan performers, contemporary dancers, stilt walkers, storytellers, and more, this unique performance is free for all ages.” PLEASE NOTE there is a $5 parking fee per vehicle.
- Sun. June 3rd, Redwood Glen at Joaquin Miller Park, 2-4 pm: section meetings
- Sun. June 24th, 2-4 pm: group activity tbd (service project suggestions welcome)
- Sun. July 8th, Redwood Glen at Joaquin Miller Park, 2-4pm: Otter and Timberwolf section meetings
- Fri. July 27th-Sun. July 29, NorCal Hullabaloo (site tbd)